I always worry about the snacks my boys eat. I push for the healthier snacks. I push for fruit, whole grains. And they don’t complain….they love it. But sometimes I like to treat them. There are a brand of Organic PopTarts that they really like. But they are expensive, and not often on sale. And when they are on sale I buy some and they are gone the next day! C’est La Vie!
Some time last year I saw this post over at Oven Love. It was perfect. Homemade PopTarts. Totally up my alley. And the boys LOVE THEM. I realized last week that I hadn’t made them in a LONG time. So I made a plan, read : scheduled them in, and made my boys Homemade PopTarts filled with Nutella!
Pretty cute, eh?
Here is the recipe I followed, though I used 1/2 cup butter….I am not a shortening gal.
Homemade Pop Tarts
(original recipe from Peabody)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tbsp. cold water
Jam (your choice) Or you can use Nutella like I did!!
1 cup powdered sugar
milk to thin
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add shortening and butter and blend with a fork, pastry cutter, or your hands. Blend until mixture is fairly coarse. Add water, 1 tbsp. at a time, gently mixing dough after each addiction until dough forms a ball.
2. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a square/rectangle. To about 1/8 thickness. Cut out long strips about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. Repeat until dough runs out.
3. Take one pie crust rectangle and lace 1 tsp. of jam on top. Cover with another piece of pie crust and crimp all four edges. Repeat with the rest of dough. Place Pop-tarts on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake for 7-8 minutes.
4. While pop-tarts are baking, make glaze. Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Pour milk slowing until it has a consistency of really thick syrup. 1/2 a tbsp. to 1 tbsp. might be enough.
5. Once pop-tarts are done and cooled, top with glaze. Add sprinkles and serve.
Trust me, make these…..your family will thank you.
What snacks do you like to make homemade for your family??? Send me links – I am looking for more things to make a healthier version for the boys!