Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cookie Carnival..first time...

I have been joining some blogging/baking events that I have not participated in the past....and this one is one that I hope to find the time to do monthly...because we always need cookies on hand in our house....I have those hungry little boys to feed!!
I know most of the country is just starting their strawberry season...ours was a couple of months ago...so this month's recipe was Strawberry Shortcake Cookies. I was happy with this selection as my boys gobble up strawberries like they are going out of style....
The recipe is pretty simple, not too many ingredients. I was a little skeptical as to how they would all hold together as it was a little crumbly, but it came together and they are delicious. The boys ate them in record speed...but I did manage to get a good picture before they were all gone.

Here is the recipe...

INGREDIENTS:
Makes about 3 dozen.
* 12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
* 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
* 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
* 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
* 2/3 cup heavy cream
* Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.
2. Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool. Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.

Make these...they are yummy...and not so bad for the kiddos!

Take Care,
Tania
Love Big, Bake Often

ps - if you want to join the Cookie Carnival click here for details.



9 comments:

SweetThingsTO said...

Strawberry Shortcake cookies - what a great idea. They look amazing!

leafy bombshell said...

ooohh those kinda look like scones but I bet they made amazing cookies. If strawberries weren't so ridiculously expensive here I would say that I would give it a try.

Jamie said...

Hey, great idea for the last of our 13 lbs of strawberries! And you know how Bud likes those. Esp if I tell him (and her) they're from you!

Laura said...

Awesome--I am so joining this! I love cookies--as you probably noticed on my blog. And I love that it is not compulsory each month (said hanging in head in shame over lack of daring baker participating lately).

Pamela said...

I just loved these little cookies and wished that I had more! There's still time, though. Glad you gave them a try and that you joined CC!

April said...

These look great!

Rachelle S said...

Great to see you joined in on this! =)

Ellie said...

These look delicious!!

Martha said...

Glad you joined CC. It really is a lot of fun for cookie lovers and cookie bakers!