Tuesday, July 28, 2009

TWD - Vanilla Ice Cream

In the past couple of months I have made a few different ice creams, different bases, etc....and I have to say...I love a custard base ice cream. It is so rich and sticks to your tongue. It may be a bit more work, but it is so worth it. I didn't realize how easy it is to make ice cream without a maker - believe me, I wish I had one, and hope to get one soon - but you can make these delicious treats without one. Just check out how to here.


Dorie's Vanilla Ice Cream is yummy. She gives options of either using vanilla extract or a vanilla bean. GO WITH THE BEAN. Scrape out the seeds and boil the bean - get that flavour out. It makes a difference. Seeing all those little specks makes me smile too!

Be sure to check out the TWD blog roll and see what other's made with this week's recipe. And check out Lynne's blog, Cafe Lynnylu, for this week's recipe.

Take Care,
Tania

Love Big, Bake Often

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made it sans ice cream maker too, and it really is pretty easy! I was amazed with how few little crystals this method produced! Yours looks lovely.

Pamela said...

I'm impressed by those of you who did it without the ice cream maker. Looks so creamy and delicious!! I've gotta get some vanilla beans.

Megan said...

I cheated and used vanilla extract - but next time I'll use the bean. I'm just hoarding my stash (for what I don't know).

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I'm still amazed that you make such perfect ice cream without an ice cream maker. Great job!

Di said...

Mmm. That looks perfect. I never would have guessed that you made it without an ice cream maker.

The Food Librarian said...

This looks lovely! So perfect for summer.