Thursday, August 20, 2009

Remembering snickerdoodle

My friend CB recently lost her dear pet rabbit.  I am so sad for her….she loved that rabbit.  Her rabbit was named Snickerdoodle……I’m not sure why, but I loved the name.  CB hadn’t been around online recently and that is when Nancy told me to go and check her blog.  Snickerdoodle passed away several days ago, and since I have no way to give her a hug, I decided to do some baking in her honour.  So it seemed only proper to make some Snickerdoodle cookies. 

So Miss Clara, these are for you!

snickerdoodle 002

And here is the recipe….they are awesome.  I am hoping to make some more (this batch is going to school with Jakob) and turn them into Ice Cream Sandwiches!!  YUM

Snickerdoodles

Makes 3 dozen cookies

For the dough:

½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

1 ½ cups sugar

2 large eggs

2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

1 ½ teaspoons cream of tarter

1 teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon kosher salt

For the cinnamon sugar:

1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon

½ cup sugar

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until smooth, 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and mix until combined.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tarter, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until combined. The dough will be soft and too sticky to roll. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Position a rack in the top and bottom thirds of your oven. Preheat the oven to 350f. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.


For the cinnamon sugar: Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.

Using a 1 ounce cookie scoop or a tablespoon, shape the dough into balls and then roll them in the cinnamon sugar.

Place the cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten them slightly with your fingertips so they stay put. Bake for about 12-13 minutes, or until the bottoms are slightly golden in color. These cookies are supposed to be chewy, so do not overbake. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Snickerdoodles keep in an airtight container at room temp for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze well wrapped in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil for up to 3 weeks. Do not uncover before defrosting.

I grabbed the recipe from Spike over at Spike Bakes.

Clara, I really wish I could be there to give you a hug.  And a cookie! Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Take Care,
Tania
Love Big, Bake Often

7 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

What a nice tribute to Clara's Snickerdoodle. I'm sure she will appreciate your baking honor!

Engineer Baker said...

What a wonderful thought! You are just too sweet :)

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Those cookies look delicious and are a perfect remembrance to Clara's bunny. I'm glad you found a new favorite cookie!

CB said...

I cried reading your blog post. Your tribute was so beautiful. I love snickerdoodle cookies and since my bunny was that characteristic orange-black speckled color that reminded me so much of my favorite cookies, I knew I had to name her that.

I starred your recipe to try soon. I bet they were fabulous as ice cream sandwiches.

Thanks so much for thinking of me and Snickerdoodle and most important... being my friend.
/Clara

Kristen - Dine & Dish said...

I bet she'll love this!
My thoughts go out to your friend. Losing a pet is like losing a family member!

spike. said...

So nice! and definitely try the ice cream sandwiches if you make these again

Unknown said...

That was a touching tribute to your friend and her beloved bunny. Very thoughtful of you!