Monday, August 24, 2009

Taste and Create August

 I am late, yet again, with my Taste and Create post….

I apologize.  I really don’t know where this month went…there was so much going on.  School starting, daycare starting, new routines, Daddy being gone, Daddy coming home and not sure when…the list goes on.

But I had looked at my partner, Lysy, at Munchkin Mail’s blog weeks ago and already decided what I would make.  So I knew I could knock it out super quick and it seemed easy enough….but just kept putting it off.  I realized the date today as I was getting things all together for my first day of work tomorrow and that I had to get it done today.  I managed to whip it up in between cleaning house and making dinner.  And the boys ate a couple of slices each for dessert. 

I give you….my first attempt (and kind of failure) at a Jelly Roll!  And of course I filled it with Nutella – no wimpy strawberry jam here – we wanted the good stuff.  And everyone knows Nutella is THE good stuff!

jelly roll 001 

I think I might have baked it a minute or two too long as it wasn’t as flexible as I thought it should be…or maybe I waited too long to roll it.  But appearance doesn’t matter with this one!  It tastes great.  The cake is nice and spongy, and the chocolate in it is perfect.  Jakob was in love! He wanted more than two slices but I really wanted to save some for tomorrow too!

Here is the recipe:

Jammy Swiss roll (from Martha Day's Complete Baking)

Serves 6-8

3 eggs

115g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling

75g plain flour, sifted

1 tbsp boiling water

6 tbsps jam or HALF a jar of Nutella!

Icing sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to Gas 6/200 C. Grease a 12x8 Swiss roll tin and line with non stick baking paper. Combine the eggs and sugar in a bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until thick and mousse like (when the whisk is lifted, a trail should remain on the surface of the mixture for 15 seconds.)

Carefully fold in the flour with a large metal spoon, then add the boiling water in the same way.

Spoon into the prepared tin, spread evenly to the edges and bake for about 10-12 mins until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.

Spread a sheet of greaseproof paper on a flat surface, sprinkle it with caster sugar, then invert the cake on top. Peel off the paper.

Neatly trim the edges of the cake. Make a cut two-third of the way through the cake, about 1cm from the short edge nearest you [presumably this makes it easier to start rolling]

Spread the cake with the jam and roll up quickly from the partially cut edge. Hold in position for a minute, making sure the join is underneath. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar before serving. – we didn’t quite get a chance to dust it – they wanted to eat it right away! 

jelly roll 007

I will be making this again and experimenting with fillings and hopefully be able to make it and roll it without cracks!

Check out Lysy’s blog – she has a ton of amazing stuff on there that I can’t wait to make!

Take care,
Tania
Love Big, Bake Often

3 comments:

TeaLady said...

My first roll cake didn't work either. So dry it broke when I tried to roll. Maybe next time.

Keep on trying. As long as it tasted good......

Lysy said...

I'm so glad you liked it! The Nutella is an awesome idea - and the great thing is that it's so tasty no one cares if it cracks (just cover it in icing sugar!). It reheats nicely in the microwave too :)

The toffee choc rounds I made from your blog were a BIG hit too.

Junk Removal Wheaton said...

Nice blog you have here, thanks for sharing this