Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Baked Oatmeal...a recipe from a BFF



My friend J brought this recipe to a playgroup years ago, and I was hooked. I was making it like crazy in CT. It is yummy warm, fresh out of the oven, and I like it cold out of the fridge. A batch does not last long in our house. Jakob devours it and I can't stop eating it once it is made. For some reason I haven't made it in ages. What was I thinking? ...it's healthy, nutritious, and delish...the perfect snack for my hungry little men. Today when I was definitely needing a good baking session and not sure what to bake, it popped into my head...BAKED OATMEAL! I knew I had all the simple ingredients and so it was a no-brainer.

It is a chewy, dense granola bar with no crunch...and I like to put LOTS of raisins in it too...yummy nature's candy! All the flavour of a bowl of granola!


Baked Oatmeal,

recipe courtesy of Miss J

2 c Rolled Oats
1/2 tsp salt
1 c Skim Milk
1/2 c Applesauce
1/4 c Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder (just realized I didn't put this in today!! hmmmm and it still worked out!)
1 tsp Vanilla (I always put more!)
1 TB Cinnamon
3/4 cup Raisins

Combine ingredients. Bake in sprayed 8" square pan and bake at 350 deg. 35-45 min. Keeps well in refrig. Eat cold or warm. Great for quick breakfast and snacks. 6 servings

Here is Aiden having his first taste of Baked Oatmeal! I think he likes it!
Take Care,
Tania
Love Big, Bake Often


6 comments:

Jen H said...

I LOVE oatmeal and have been looking for a homemade granola bar type snack, I'll have to try this!

Maria said...

I made baked oatmeal on Saturday. Our recipe is almost identical! Too funny! I will be posting ours soon. I just love this stuff!

Jamie said...

BFF here, :). Your photo makes this look incredible! That happy Georgia sun can't hurt--it's rained for 3 days here in CT. I think of you everytime I make this, mainly because yours has turned out better than mine!

Carrie said...

You made this look so good I had to make some this morning. Very yummy! Too bad the little queen did not agree. Maybe she'll eat it next time! Thanks for sharing this!

PheMom said...

I SO can't wait to make this! I love oatmeal and it looks so yummy!

Rachelle S said...

I just favorited this to make soon, sounds delish!