Thursday, April 16, 2009

I baked bread!

I use to bake bread all the time. I loved it...but it usually meant that I would eat the whole loaf myself and within a day - maybe two! So I haven't made it in a looooooooooong time. So yesterday when I decided to make bread (ran out), I couldn't find my old recipe anywhere! Bummer...I really liked it. So I did what any blogger would....I searched my google reader and relied on my blogging friends for a recipe. And I found one on Stefani's blog Blue Yonder. I like her blog....it is a good mix of tips, recipes, and family fun. She had made this bread awhile ago and had done it two ways, with and without wheat flour. I didn't have any wheat flour in the house so I went the bread flour and all purpose way. I have to say I was a little worried about this bread.....it didn't seem to want to rise for me. It took over two hours for it to do it's first doubling....I had given up on it and went to sling it (after coming home from the grocery store with new yeast to start again).... and there it was, doubled and ready to be punched. I took it out, punched out the air and shaped it into a loaf and placed it in the loaf pan to double again. I wasn't very hopeful....but an hour and a half later it had risen to the top of the pan and was ready to bake. YAY!!! Surprise!

It turned out great. Light and yummy. You can taste the honey in the recipe. I love fresh bread with butter and sometimes honey or jam....but just a little - I like to taste the butter!

I am sad to say that the batteries died in my camera - we took too many pics over Easter weekend and drained them! But we got some great shots this weekend. Need to remember to get new ones though, Jakob has his first real soccer game this weekend!

Next time I bake bread, and I promise I will do it again soon, I will take pics. But for now here is the recipe..... thank you Stefani! And be sure to stop by Blue Yonder and see what she is up to!


White Honey Bread


2 T warm water
1 ½ t yeast
1/2 t sugar

3 ½ c bread or all purpose flour
¼ c solid vegetable shortening
1/4 c honey
1 c warm water
1 t salt

In a small cup or bowl, combine warm water with yeast and sugar. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes. Then, in a large bowl pour yeast mixture, water, flour, shortening, honey and salt. Using an electric mixer, blend on low until all ingredients are incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Mix for 7 minutes.

Remove dough and place in a clean bowl that has been greased lightly with oil. Turn dough over in bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp clean cloth and place in a warm spot to allow dough to double in size.

After dough rises, punch down to eliminate bubbles. Spray or grease and flour 9x4 or 5 inch loaf pan. Shape dough into a loaf and place in pan. In warm spot let rise again until double in size.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaf for 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped lightly on top. Makes 1 loaf.


Enjoy!
Take care,
Tania
Love Big, Bake Often

1 comment:

Maria said...

Glad the bread turned out!