Thursday, April 30, 2009

Put the Lime Curd in the Cupcake!

Instead of "put the lime in the coconut"....get it? I try to be funny... is it working?


I don't know where this lime obsession is coming from the past couple of days, but I am lovin' it! The lime curd I made yesterday turned out luscious....that's right....LUSCIOUS. I wanted a cupcake to go along with it that would hold up to this fantastic lime curd. So I asked my friend CB, from I Heart Cuppycakes to send me a link to her best go to vanilla cupcake recipe....and this is what she sent...you can find her version here. (Thank you for responding to me so quickly - gotta love twitter!)

Lime Vanilla Cupcakes
Makes about 12

1-1/4 cups AP flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
Zest from one lime
6 tbsp butter, room temperature
1 large egg + 1 egg white, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350F.
Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Zest lime and with fingers rub the sugar with the lime zest. In a stand mixer, fitted with flat beater, beat the lime sugar and butter until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Add egg and egg white, one at a time, beating on low.
Then add vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk in 2 additions, ending with the flour mixture.

Fill cupcake liners about 1/2-2/3 full. Bake for about 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

6 oz Cream Cheese
1 1/2 Sticks Softened Butter
2 tsp Lemon Extract
1 Tbsp Half and Half
Approx 6 - 7 cups of Icing Sugar
Cream together butter and cream cheese. Add in Half and Half and Lemon Extract. Add Icing Sugar until you reach the consitency you are looking for....I like to have it spreadable but stiff enough to hold the swirls and peaks!

I used the simple "cone" method to fill these cupcakes. I took a sharp knife, coned out a piece of the cupcake, cut off the bottom of the cone, put in the lime curd, and put the top of the cupcake back on. Just like this......


Then I frosted them with the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. Lemon Lime Vanilla Cupcakes. They were a hit at the meeting and I actually was able to sneak a couple to bring back home for Jason and I to enjoy. They are delicious. Oh, and luscious. What a great word!

This is my last posting for NaBloPoMo......whew....it was tough to make sure to post everyday. But a very fun experiment. I may chose to do it for another month....guess I have to decide tomorrow..... thoughts?
That's it for tonight all....hope you had a good April!
Take Care,
Tania
Love Big, Bake Often

8 comments:

Maria said...

I can't wait to make these. The lime curd in the middle...mmmm! What a great surprise!

Steph said...

The lime curd sounds amazing! I love citrusy desserts. I have to try that cupcake recipe next time. It's very similar to my favourite by Amy Sedaris.

Anonymous said...

loved loved loved the cupcakes! hope everyone out there is jealous that we were able to try the delicious treats!!!

Brenda Campbell said...

Those cupcakes look so yummy!! By the way, what does NaBloPoMo mean? Never heard that term before...

Natalie said...

mmm.. I love lemon curd, so I'm sure I'd love lime! Must try. Also- I have that same little ikea plate! i love it!

Cristine said...

Those look fantastic! Mmmmm!

April said...

Yum, these look delish!!!

Heidi said...

This looks amazing. YUMMY!