Tuesday, April 14, 2009

TWD Slacker, but with good reason

I want to preface this email with a warning that there are gross details about dogs, and poop, and stuff...... read at your own risk!

We were so busy this weekend and the desserts were set weeks ago, so no baking TWD cake for Easter. I had all intentions of baking today, no other plans on my agenda. But my lovely chocolate Lab Toby had other plans for me. She started vomiting Sunday afternoon, and then didn't stop til late last night. I took her to the vet yesterday and after explaining her vomiting and her history of eating random things; socks, plastic toys, onesies (which I had to pull out of her throat as she vomited it up), dryer sheets and paper towels. She usually eats things when we aren't around, as she is very sensitive and anxious. So with her history they wanted to take some xrays and give her some fluids (she was dehydrated from throwing up so much). So I left her there and headed home for a few hours. Jason went to pick her up and they showed him the xrays and said that they were suspicious of a few spots but couldn't really tell what or if anything was stuck. So they sent her home, no food or fluids and we would come back in today to recheck with some more xrays and see what's up. So today I took her in and she was doing much better, more energy and I thought she was doing great. But when I went to pick her up the Vet wasn't so sure. She thought that there was still a couple of patches that she was worried about. ACK! But she also said that she was confused by the fact that Toby seemed well, no fever, no more vomiting and quite energetic. So the Vet wants us back tomorrow. She sent us home with decisions...barium contrast with xrays to determine blockage and then possible surgery, or jump straight ahead to surgery. DOUBLE ACK! Cost: Barium Contrast = $400 - 500, Surgery = $800 - 1200. OMG - not exactly in the budget this month. But she also sent us home with a goal : GET HER TO POOP. They really wanted her to poop. She hasn't gone in a couple of days now, and she needed to see if Toby could get it through. So I brought her home and immediately we went for a walk. You see, Toby loves to poop on walks. She likes to make me pick it up. But she didn't want to poop just then. But she did poop once we got home!! She pooped and it stayed there, hanging... I ran out (I was watching her) with some napkins and yanked it out. And out came about a foot and a half of some kind of string, maybe a shoe lace? Something that stretched itself into this rope like thing? Who knows.... But I am so glad that she pooped. I was so happy to call the Vet and let her know. Unfortunately this doesn't necessarily mean we are out of the woods, but this is a step in the right direction, and a step towards not needing surgery. She is still off food, but she is allowed some water and has managed to keep it down and is peeing normally. Sorry, I told you this would be too much information!



Back to Tuesdays With Dorie......

Holly, from Phemomenon, (and she is a phenomenal Mom) chose this weeks yummy cake - the 15 Minute Magic Chocolate Amaretti Torte. She did a fantastic job. Hers look so yummy. Hop over to her blog and take a look at all the yumminess. And check out the TWD blogroll for other yummy versions of this yummy cake.

Also on Holly's blog, please read about Little Maddie Spohr. Last week Maddie passed away. Her life, from conception on was blogged about by her parents, on The Spohr's are Multiplying. There are blogs across the internet changing their colours to purple in memory of Maddie, donations of over $20,000 have been collected in her name, a blog to remember her has been created - Remember Maddie. It is so sad to hear about little babies losing their lives. It is heartbreaking. I just heard about Maddie, this wasn't one of the blogs that I followed, but seeing the outpouring of condolences and donations in the name of this little girl and her poor parents has touched me. I had already planned on walking in the March of Dimes walk in a couple of weeks, but I will be pledging my walk to her. Please donate if you can.

So I am sorry that I didn't get to bake this week....I hope you all understand.

Take care,
Tania
And Remember...LOVE BIG, Bake Often

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Thinking healing thoughts for Toby and you. We've done this with our cat Albus twice. Blah. I think pets are more expensive than kids sometime.

CB said...

With an opening paragraph like that you know I was gonna continue reading right? I used to work as a vet tech so dog poop talk doesn't even phase me anymore. Continued healing thoughts for your sweet doggy. I know vet bills can add up fast but I am sure that Toby appreciates all your effort in keeping her healthy.
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

TeaLady said...

Funny!!

TWD NEXT WEEK!!!!!

Teanna DiMicco said...

I TOTALLY FEEL YOUR PAIN! My dog actually went in to get surgery this morning for cataracts... so it is killing me!

I hope your dog is better! There is nothing worse than having a sick pup!