Saturday, April 18, 2009

Soccer shouldn't be stressful, right?

I didn't think taking Jakob to soccer would be so stressful. Today was a bust. We had pumped him up and he was all set to go; good night's sleep, big breakfast, all set in his uniform, and good to go. It was brutal. He got there and started whining. And the whining went on and on and on and on and on and on. He refused to play. Didn't want to put on his new team shirt. Didn't want to help pick a team name, and when he did pick the one that everyone liked (Dragons) he all of a sudden decided that he didn't like it. Everything we asked him to do he said he was "scared" of, absolutely everything. So frustrating. He wouldn't get on the field unless I went with him, which I did, and when I did he just stood there like a statue as the other kids ran around him! Then he decided that he wanted to be the one to either throw or kick the ball in from off side like the other kids, and when it was his turn he said he was scared to do it! So we gave up, removed him from the field and watched the other kids play. His team did great, but he didn't participate at all. I was the Mom at the game with "that kid", standing on the sidelines listening to him cry and whine for an entire hour. TORTURE! Eventually Jason got so frustrated with him he just put him in the car and waited for me. I was waiting for the game to end to help finish up and hand out the cookies I had made for after game snack. (we are all taking turns providing snack and drinks after the games).

We asked for advice from other moms and dads at the game, we asked the coaches, but no one really had any good advice as to what to do. The main YMCA coach said we could show up a little early next week and he would try to work with him. I really hope that works. If not, I hate to say it, but we will have to throw in the towel. I hate the idea of giving up, letting him quit, but do I have another choice? Do I force him to participate? Would that even work? What kind of effect would that have on future team sports? He's four - will he remember it the next time we sign him up? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am totally at a loss. HELP?!?!

Good news....I signed him up for swim classes in May, something I know he will enjoy!

Thanks for any advice you may have....please leave me comments - I am at a mommy loss.

Take care,
Tania

Love Big, Bake Often

3 comments:

Team Wallace said...

Only you know what is best for your child. If you think that Jakob truly dislikes soccer, take him out. I think your idea of enrolling him in swimming is great! He just needs to find a sport he likes, once that happens I am sure he will excel! Don't fret about it too much, I am 100% positive whatever decision you make will be the right one.

Jamie said...

There's no shame in stopping, for him or you. I've read that kids don't developmentally understand team sports or winning/losing until they are closer to 7. You tried, exposed him to a new experience, and it didn't work. If it becomes miserable for everyone, he won't ever want to play. Hmmm, reminds me of having kids try new foods, really. Hang in there!

Aimée said...

What a scenario! I have no useful advice--sorry!