Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bread Pudding Letdown

Let me start by saying I LOVE BREAD PUDDING!!! But I don't like this one! Maybe I am a bread pudding purist...I like the original - raisins, cinnamon, rich bourbon sauce on top. And yes, I could have made bourbon sauce to go on top of this....but I didn't. I was expecting to love this recipe, it combines two of my favorite desserts - chocolate and bread pudding! But no. No, I do not like it. And I tried...I ate a huge chunk last night. Even after I decided I didn't like it I still continued to eat it until the huge chunk was gone!

I also am not going to have a chance to try to make this dessert into something that I would eat either, you see I managed to forget to put the bread pudding into the fridge before going to bed last night. So it sat on the counter spoiling as I snored in bed. Dumb, right? Couldn't believe it when I got up this morning and was making a pot of coffee and there it was...just sitting there. Who does that? I have no excuse, I wasn't super busy, super stressed, super drunk, super anything..... just plain forgot. I am kicking myself - SO hard. I had dreams of the ways that I would resurrect this bread pudding, vanilla bean cream sauce, bourbon sauce, chocolate orange ganache to drizzle on top to make it more enjoyable..... so many plans dashed by my inability to put a simple dish in the fridge. Seriously kicking myself hard. All those yummy sauces I want to make and nothing to put them on.....

But back to the bread pudding. Dorie's recipe is super simple. Since I love bread pudding I decided to make a whole recipe rather than halve it...also since I couldn't figure out how to halve 3 eggs! (Suggestions on how to do that would be greatly appreciated!)

I took some great photos of things before I baked it, and planned to take some pics today (in the beautiful sunshine) of the finished product since I baked it last night and not very photogenic in my fluorescent kitchen! Note to self....change bulbs to make nicer photos!

Here you go...

So that is it for the photos...sorry...no after shots....check out the other TWDr's for their posts and some awesome "after" shots! And thank you to Lauren, from Upper East Side Chronicle, for picking this weeks treat...I really thought I would like it!

Better luck next week....Chocolate Cream Tart coming right up!

Take Care,

Tania Love Big, Bake Often

6 comments:

KELLY said...

I didn't make the bread pudding this week. It's just too heavy for this time of year. I am ready for some light, fruity desserts!

Maria said...

Sorry it was a let down! I like some bread puddings but it is not my favorite dessert.

Lambeth said...

Sounds a bit over the top to me. Have you tried simple bread and butter with a few currents, eat it hot with old fashioned vanilla flavoured custard.

Natalie said...

I like the old fashioned stuff, too.. the chocolate just wasn't right. And as for the halving of eggs, sometimes I'll just beat the egg quickly, and then use half of the beaten egg in the recipe. It all gets mixed up anyways!

TeaLady said...

I love bread pudding, but prefer it plain altho' I am curious and make a really itty bitty one just to try. When I have to cut down on whole eggs, I whip them up and then measure them out I can always find uses for the left overs.

Rachelle S said...

I forgot to mention, YAY for TWD!
I'm sorry you didn't like this one. I loved it. And another thumbs up for TJ Vanilla! =)